Wednesday, July 13, 2011

In Training


"Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."
I Timothy 4:7-8


I spent some time with my kids yesterday... in training. Training them on the finer points of sorting and doing laundry and the proper, thorough way to clean a bathroom. One of the key points of discussion was WHY are we doing this NOW? It is after all, summer break! (I have to give my kids some credit here, they took on this training with pretty good attitudes - and each of the completed tasks were done to "Mom's Specifications.") However, it was a time consuming process to get through - both for them and for me.

There were several reasons I took time with each of them to go through the How To's of each task. First, everyone wants to wear clean clothes. Second, let's be honest - given the choice, we would all prefer using a sparkling clean bathroom over one that looks and smells like an outhouse! But the two main reasons I took on training my children in these tasks were, 1) they will need to know how to do them and 2) there may be a time that I require their help. As I shared with them, when I need their help,
I won't have the time to train them.

As much as this activity was about training my kids, it was also about preparation. Preparing them to be ready to help. Preparing them for what they will need to be able to do for themselves as they grow up and get out on their own. Being prepared for the tasks of daily life is important. If I am able to see value in training my children for physical tasks - how much more should I see value in training and preparing them (and myself) spiritually.

Living a Godly life isn't about arriving at a destination - it is about daily training and preparation. It is working to develop our personal relationship with our Creator and Savior each day as we live our lives. It is about living a life focused on serving others and letting the reflection of Christ shine through us in such a way that others see Him. I haven't arrived at godliness by any means, but I am striving toward it - it is a life journey and I am in training!


1 comment:

Debbie said...

I love this post!! Yes, we are all still in training. What a great way to look at it because it kind of makes me realize that I don't have to have it all together right now! I'm in training and will be until God is finished with me.

Thanks for giving me a new perspective and reminding me that I need to train my kids, as well.